Professor Wright's Lecture.

Professor J. H. Wright addressed the weekly meeting of the Christian Association last night in Holden Chapel. He spoke on "The need of perspective and proportion in our conceptions of life's relations."

If we were not free agents, he said, it would be unnecessary to ask how we should choose and regulate our path in life. But we are not automatons and must work out our own destiny. In our work as students, in our social life and amusements we often magnify unimportant things and leave unnoticed the more important. It is so in religious life. We often emphasize faith in our religion and neglect works. The most discouraging part of the controversies on church questions is the magnifying of unessential things. If we would observe the true proportion of things as their natural relation suggests instead of following our own hasty impulses and opinions, we should avoid a great deal of worry and trouble. The thing for us to do is to place ourselves, or seek to be placed, at some central point of view from which we can get the true perspective of the relations of life; and this we believe to be the hand of God. He alone is the good, the beautiful. So long as our lives are not in adjustment with the divine life the whole universe is out of order for us. If we adjust our lives to some central idea they will be simplified, and calmness will take the place of anxiety.