The Two Mile Race.

Yesterday for the third time in the series of class races the sophomore crew came in an easy first. The seniors were from three to four lengths behind. Next came the juniors two lengths behind the seniors, and last the freshmen. The time was nine minutes and fifty-five seconds, which is twenty-seven seconds slower than last year's time.

At half past four, the time set for the race, not a crew was in sight. The starters' boats were placed and everything was in readiness. The rain had stopped, and the wind had died out. About five o'clock the juniors appeared with only seven men in the boat and with Cameron stroking the crew from No. 7. The rest of the order was: 6, Richardson; 5, Briggs; 4. Lambert; 3, Poole; 2, Capen; bow, McGuffie. '94 came next with washboards rigged on the boat in preparation for rough water. Heckscher at bow and Carter at No. 2 had changed places, otherwise the order was the same. '96 and '97 followed and as the crews took their positions they were cheered by the men on the tug boats.

The word was given and all the crews got off together with the racing start. '94 and '96 abreast forged slowly ahead, '95 was a very close third, while the freshmen hung back.

At the end of the first half mile '96, whose stroke had been raised, was leading '94 by half a boat length, '95 had dropped a length in the rear of '94, and the freshmen, who had been steered out of the course, seemed to have no special interest in the race.

At Harvard Bridge, less than a mile from the finish, '96 had again spurted and was leading '94 by two lengths. '95 had dropped back still further, and '97, though rowing out of time and in miserable form, seemed again to come into the race.

From this point to the finish '96's lead gradually increased, while the relative positions of the other crews remained about the same.