The plan suggested in another column for the better establishment of the debating interests here is, we are afraid, impracticable, but it would certainly do good if it could be executed. Precisely this idea led to the formation of the New Harvard Union a year ago, but, since the plan did not meet the approval of some of the best speakers in the University, it was only partially carried out. Owing to the manner in which affairs turned then, there are two societies today, neither of which acknowledges the other as superior and on whose respective merit it would not be expected that any disinterested persons would be willing to pass judgment. If some method for coalescing all the good speakers can be found, it would assuredly be well; we simply point out that the method sugested is inadequate.

The proposal for a number of societies is well made. There is need, not only for one society which shall be recognized as the ambition of all students interested in debating, but of many other societies to develop inexperienced speakers. There are very many men in the University who would be glad to practice debate, if only better facilities could be afforded, and there is good reason to hope that the effort to form debating clubs of students interested in particular branches of study would not be spent in vain. Sharp work, however, is needed.