The ventilation of many of the buildings in which lectures and recitations are held should not longer be neglected. It is quite true that these buildings are no worse in this respect than many public buildings in the vicinity, but that other buildings in the vicinity, but that other buildings are bad is no sufficient reason for allowing our own to remain so.

We understand that it is the opinion of experts on the subject that proper ventilation must be obtained by mechanical devices. Only by the use of these can the air be forcibly removed, and a continual change be ensured. And yet, at present, Sever Hall and one of the laboratories in Boylston are the only places where any attempt has been made to provide proper equipment. In the rest of the buildings, the ancient mode of ventilation still obtains. Apertures are provided through which the air may escape, the warm air is expected to create a draft, and there the matter ends. Such a system is manifestly imperfect under any circumstances, and is altogether deficient in rooms crowded with students for a considerable length of time.

The chief obstacle to improvement is lack of money. The buildings have no special fund devoted to their needs, but must rely on contributions from a general fund out of which many other needs must be supplied. To devote an extraordinarily large proportion of this fund to the buildings will result in great harm elsewhere. Moreover, so long as the results of the present stress in financial matters are felt, this general fund will probably be so limited that any unusual expense will be out of the question. The prospect of improvement by the college authorities is not hopeful.

A reform in this matter may not be one that will stire any great amount of enthusiasm, or that would be likely to attract the attention of the ordinary philanthropist. The need of reform, nevertheless, is very real. The poor ventilation has caused much trouble to students in the past and is constantly exposing them to danger in the present. There is need of some benefactor who will devote part of his resources to providing in this uninspiring and yet fundamental matter, for the good of the students.