We regret that any obstacle has arisen in regard to the address to the students by Mr. Henry Irving. At the same time, we think that the positions of both the college authorities and the New Harvard Union officials are very plain. If Mr. Irving gave an address in Sanders Theatre at a time when regular recitations were being held, there would be a conflict upon which the authorities must look with disfavor, especially as such an occurrence might be cited as a precedent in future requests. On the other hand, if the New Harvard Union officials secured permission to hold the address in Sanders Theatre, and if it was not made explicit to them that the theatre could not be used before a certain hour, they were quite justified in making final arrangements with Mr. Irving. The cause of the trouble is an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Very likely now that the details of the matter have been brought forward, the college authorities will look upon it in a different light. If not, apparently the first thing to be done is for the New Harvard Union officials to write again to Mr. Irving, stating the difficulty, and asking if he can, without great inconvenience, make other arrangements. If it is found that Mr. Irving cannot conveniently speak in the afternoon, then it seems to us that some concession should be made by the college authorities. The Union officials have proceeded in a perfectly straightforward way from the beginning, and, if their efforts to right a difficulty which has come from a mutual misunderstanding should be unsuccessful, some effort on the part of the authorities to facilitate matters would be naturally expected.

The chief objection which the authorities would have to setting aside the regulation in regard to Sanders would probably be on the matter of precedent. It could, however, be clearly stated by them that the permission was not to be regarded as the forerunner of other similar permissions, but was emphatically a special favor under special circumstances. Certainly, if ever a special favor were to be granted, there would then be occasion for it. Not only ought great consideration to be shown to Mr. Irving, but an address by him to the students would fully compensate for a fraction of time taken from regular college work, and would be of such rare value that no small objection should be allowed to destroy the possibility of it. The failure to make satisfactory arrangements would be a matter of such widespread regret that we anticipate no lack either of effort on the part of the New Harvard Union officials or of consideration on the part of the college authorities.