It is probably not stretching the truth to say that Harvard never had an athletic team, each one of whose members was so earnest and conscientious in his work as this year's eleven. Every man, it is said, seemed to take almost as much interest, and feel as much responsibility as if he were the leader. We hope to see the same spirit dominate the other teams. The crew is already at work; in a month more the candidates for the baseball and athletic teams will be called out. But the responsibility of the men who expect to try for those teams does not begin with the period of active training. It is something which should never be lost sight of. It would be foolish indeed to ask of such men that they keep in training all the time, but it is not too much to demand that they keep in generally good condition.

We feel this matter to be one of real importance. It is by no means an unusual thing for an athlete to get into such a state from lack of exercise, over-diligent application to his studies or what not, that he finds the first week of work wears on him to such an extent that he becomes really sick. The chances are then about even that he will conclude training does not "agree" with him and give it up altogether.