Every Harvard man worthy of the name must feel a sense of deep humiliation that any undergraduates should have conducted themselves in a manner to call out from one who is sincere in his devotion to the University the communication which we publish this morning.

Such a disgraceful scene as that which Dr. Bowditch describes is all the more to be regretted since, as he points out, it is entirely out of accord with the spirit which actually prevails here. While these occasional lapses from gentlemanly conduct are, we believe, due less to viciousness than to puerility of character, that fact is not recognized by the general public which witnesses them.

In view of this last occurence we believe it a proper time to point out to the members of the freshman class what has been the policy of the Faculty with regard to such affairs. It would be no difficult matter, - much easier than many students imagine, - to discover who are the offenders and to cut them off at once from any further connection with the University. But the adoption of such measures it is believed would be a check on the development and strengthening of character, and for this reason they have not been resorted to except in extreme cases.

Since, then, the Faculty does assume that we are men, and gentlemen, and treats us as such, let us show that their confidence is not misplaced.