Appleton Chapel.

Dr. Greer of New York preached last night at Appleton Chapel from the text "God hath said, ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die," taken from the third chapter of Genesis. He said: It seems at the first sight hardly credible that death should have entered into the world by one man's disobedience and that in so slight a thing as eating fruit from a certain tree. But taken as a parable this story has a lesson for every one. The Garden of Eden may stand for the life of a man, and in this garden there is always growing a tree fostered by the same things that bring forth the best products, and to touch this tree is death. In every life there is a peculiar temptation. The banker, the minister, the man with a vigorous body, every one has a peculiar temptation favored by the circumstances of his life. The stronger and richer the life, the stronger is the temptation. That it is natural or rather inevitable to the life is no excuse but rather a reason for special effort against it. If a man fights bravely and at last successfully against his temptation it may in reality become to him a tree of life, for the strength gained in fighting the temptation he might without it have never had. To conquer temptation man must bury all ambition, wealth and power and rise with the spirit of Christian whom alone is power to overcome all evil.

The choir sang "Abide with Me," by Dunstan; "Lord of Our Life," by Field, and "Like as the Heart," by Adams.