In answer to a call for candidates by the captain of the Harvard 'varsity crew only nine men presented themselves in the trophy room of the Gymnasium last night. At the close of the rowing season last July there were probably nearer nine hundred men ready to grumble and find fault with the management. Such a condition of affairs is a disgrace to the college, all the worse coming as it does when Harvard has a captain who has generously sacrificed an immense amount of time in his efforts to improve our rowing affairs. There seems to be an to a tendency among a certain class of men to regard the athlete who represents his college very much as though he were a sort of gladiator; he is criticised as freely and blamed as harshly if in his best endeavors he prove unsuccessful. We maintain that in such matters no man who has not at least done what he is capable of, has a right to sit idly by and criticise the rest.

If there be any who think there is no chance of making the crew over the men who are now in training, they should know that these men have been taken merely on trial and stand no better chance than those who have never rowed.

Another opportunity will be given this evening for men to hand in their names. Let a large number turn out, and show that Captain Fennessy's efforts are appreciated.