Appleton Chapel.

The services in Appleton Chapel last evening were conducted by Rev. W. B. King of Christ Church, who took for his text II Peter I, 5, "Giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue." It is remarkable how single words often express in their development the history of whole phases of human history. The word "virtue" in the text is a fitting example. The Greek word used by St. Peter had a simple meaning compared with its translation, a meaning parallel to "virtus" from which we get our word. It meant all that is brave and manly, all that is distinctly masculine.

It was not until after Christ's time that men began to enquire whether this masculine quality of bravery was all that a man ought to possess. As they began to enquire, they began to improve, and so the meaning of the word developed, until it has come to include not merely bravery, but all the distinctly moral virtues, which one must have today if he would be a true man.

Manliness is a quality that every lad longs to possess; it is his aspiration to be manly. And as he gets into school, he there tries to exemplify his conception of the word. But unfortunately he often gets a wrong idea, and comes to think it manly to frequent the bar-room, or gambling places. It is an evil that is common to most men at certain stages of their lives, an evil for which society is responsible. A man's idea will conform not to what he ought to be, but to what he is allowed to be.

Yet after all is said, we still recognize the true man. In fact, "virtue" really means more today than ever. Though a low conception of manliness has been allowed to creep in, still we honor the man who is truthful, generous, open hearted, courteous, and pure, the true man.

Thus in its true sense virtue means more today than it did before the days of Christ, and it is because we have the example of Christ, who combined in himself all the qualities that make up virtue, that we have this higher conception.

The choir sang the following anthems: "Magnificat." Clare; "They that wait upon the Lord," Stainer; "Saviour, when night," Shelley. Mr. C. H. Porter was soloist.