The Crew at New London.

NEW LONDON, CONN.,June 20, 1892.Last week Acton, who has been rowing at No. 6, was taken sick and has not been able to row since. His illness is not any more serious than to keep him from rowing for a few days at least. It is impossible so far as I can learn to know what causes his illness. The crew has been rearranged by placing Waters at No. 3, Winthrop at No. 6, Cummings at No. 5, Rantoul at No. 4, and Bond No. 2. This arrangement is very radical and it is earnestly hoped for the better. The crew was so slow that this change seems necessary. Saturday Mr. Keyes sent the crew over the four mile course, but he has not given out the time made, but says that it was some better than anything the crew has done this year here. Still he says the time was slow, too slow for a winning crew. The Yale crew went over the course a little after our crew and made a good deal faster time. The reports said to have come from Mr. Robt. Cook to the effect of a fast team row last Thursday is a great mistake to say the least. It is hard to understand how he could possibly be so mistaken. But it is hard to credit all that is said to come from him. The rowing has improved a little since my last letter.

The freshmen took a time row last Saturday, but Jones was unable to get their time. The crew appears to be a good one and is improving every day. It seems able to row as fast a stroke as it wishes and still row hard and effectively. Everyone here has high hopes of seeing the '95 crew make a very good showing in the race with Columbia and Yale.

The New London authorities have been working over the flags today. The Yale launch has been about them for a considerable time so that we shall expect to get no more reports pertaining to come from the Yale crew management to the effect that Mr. Keyes was present at the setting of the flags which were carried 100 Yards into Yale's course at the finish.

Saturday Yale's time for the last two miles was something under 11 minutes with good tide and cross wind.