The victory of the athletic team at New Haven reflects great credit on the members of the team and on Mr. Lathrop. The long list of Harvard's successes in track athletics has been made still longer, and a good beginning has been made for a list of intercollegiate victories this Spring.

The victory, nevertheless, was not such a decided one as was expected. There were a good many uncomfortable surprises in yesterday's games to make the thought of them wholly satisfactory. It was generally conceded that the score would not be so overwhelming as it was last year, but few expected to see it quite so close as it was yesterday. When one considers that the shifting of one first prize from Harvard's side to that of Yale would have tied the score, one begins to hesitate about talking of the sure thing that Harvard has in track athletics. This very feeling that it was a foregone conclusion that Harvard would win may have had something to do with the way that the games resulted. It is the old story of overconfidence that has been so fatal to many an athletic team. Nothing is more demoralizing to a team than to know that it is sure of victory, and nothing is such an incentive to a team, especially to a Yale team, as to know that the odds are against it. The uncomfortable closeness of this score should prove a lesson to our athletic team. Racing against the forces of all the other colleges is a thing far different from racing against Yale alone, and if Harvard does no better than she did yesterday, the chances of her winning the Mott Haven games are terribly uncertain. There is still a week before the intercollegiate games. If this is too short a period for the men to do very much toward improving their speed, it is not too short for them to work themselves into the best of physical condition, and to get the idea firmly fixed in their minds that only by their very hardest efforts can they hope to keep the track athletic championship where it belongs.