There has been some inquiry lately among the directors of the Harvard Dining Association to ascertain the sentiment in regard to any further extension of the hotel system. There was a very general expression of opinion in opposition to any extension. We understand that the corporation may petition to be allowed to convert five more club tables into general tables. It is this proposition that has met with such general opposition, mainly, it seems, on account of a feeling that if five more general tables were added this year, that would mean a few more next year, and so on as the number of applicants grew larger. The facts of the case contradict this apprehension. The basement of Memorial Hall has a limited capacity, and the needs of the present arrangement have very nearly taxed this capacity to its utmost. There is room to make accommodations for about one hundred more men without altering the present basement essentially. For any larger number, however, the basement would have to be altered at so great a cost that it would be as economical to erect a new building. We are given to understand that last year President Eliot said that he would want less than one hundred more men added to the hall; but if still more were to be accommodated it would have to be in a new building put up on the vacant lot on Holyoke street. From this it is almost certain that any petition for five new tables this year does not mean an entering wedge to secure a still further extension of the hotel system. The question actually comes down to one of whether it is worth while to break up five or six club tables in order to accommodate from fifty to eighty new men.

While the system of general tables has worked this year with great success, the sentiment expressed against any extension of it was prompted by a feeling that this extension would encroach upon one of the few ties that have tended to preserve union and companionship at Harvard. The club tables at Memorial certainly do +++ opportunities to form strong bonds of away one of these last ties naturally meets with strong opposition from those who are fortunate enough to have experienced the pleasures of a good club table.