The Advocate.

The third number of the Advocate appears to - day. It is better than the second number but not so good as the first The first was excellent.

The editorials are pleasant reading. There seems to be a new spirit entered into the Advocate editorials this year and a very delightful - good spirit it is. One reads these editorials - which remark is mightily complimentary - if one only knew it. The plea for a course on music as a fine art is heartily to be endorsed and the words on the horrible condition of things in Memorial must meet with general approbation.

After reading "Madame Savarra," one involuntarily smiles. It is a peculiar thing, original enough, it is true, but by no means remarkable. The sketch which follows it, "The Race is not always to the Swift" is, 'o our way of thinking, the best contribution to the number. The story is well told working up to a good climax; the oaths are effective and our "pastry - faced" friend, "Algernon. Fitz-Jones" turns out a man. There is a liveliness and swing in the description of the race which is very attractive

Of the "Two Sketches," the second is the better. It is daintily done withal and a very pretty thing. The first is not so pleasing in its subject. but it is not bad. The second, third and fourth "Kodaks" are the best. The fifth is fair, but the scene was so much funnier than the description that it falls a little flat. The sixth is also fair.

"While the Shows went on" is a good piece of work. The interest is well sustained not withstanding the length and unchanging form of the story. "He" as the hero is designated, suggests somehow the great Van Bibber and the sketch in its motive brings to mind "A Walk up the Avenue" by Richard Harding Davis. The verse of the number is neither extensive nor remarkable; the "Song; after the manner of An Old Poet" deserves to be mentioned however.