We are glad to hear that the Harvard Union has begun negotiations this year with the Yale Union in regard to another debate. Last year the debates were very interesting and successful considering that they were the first attempt in this line. This year, we understand, it is proposed to hold the debates under the same conditions, one in Cambridge or Boston in January, and the other in New Haven in March. These debates serve an excellent purpose in bringing together Harvard and Yale in contests other than athletic and they give, moreover, a good opportunity for individual development in debating and public speaking.

This year, however, we should make a better effort on our part, we should get the public more interested in the event, and therefore, to make it a greater success, the debate here should be held in Boston. By this means a greater interest would be taken in it by outsiders and a larger and better hall could be obtained. Yale held the New Haven debate last year in a large public hall filled by an audience of citizens as well as students, and it was a great success. Moreover they received our representatives with great cordiality and entertained them at a public dinner at the close of the debate. The whole college took an active interest in the event. We should do the same thing this year, and, though our interest last year was not lacking, we should make a greater effort to bring all success to the debates. In addition it would be a kind act of courtesy if we could do something to entertain the Yale representatives.