English 6.

Debate for May I4, I8gI.Question: Resolved, That the railroads should be owned and managed by the Federal Government.

Brief for the affirmative.S. C. BRACKETT and W. R. SEARS.

Best general references: E. J. James in Am. Econ. Associations Publications II. 246; Harper's Mo., Vol. 73 pp. 250, 450, 571.

I. The present system of private ownership of railways is unsatisfactory.- (a) The railways have fallen into the hands of a few men, e. g. the Vanderbilts and the N. Y. C. system, Gould and the Missouri Pacific.- (b) The roads in many cases have been run merely for speculation and stock jobbery; case of Erie road, C. F. Adams. "Chapters on Erie," p. 61 fol. N. A. Rev. Vol. 139, p. 53. Hadley, Railroad Transportation, p. 48.- (c) Waste of capital in useless roads, e. g. "Nickel Plate," West Shore, Chi. St. Paul and Kansas City, etc.; Bradstreets April 25, 1885.- (d) Monopolies have been fostered by unjust personal and local discrimination; Interstate Com. Com. rep. I, 503; Standard oil case.- (c). Effect of railway corporations on politics, case of Boston and Me. and Concord railways in New Hampshire.

II. Government supervision is not wholly satisfactory and cannot accomplish the purpose desired-(a) State R. R. commissions have been unable to settle railway problems in dull years, Hadley 140.- (b) Prohibition of pooling by the Interstate Commerce Act has resulted only in greater discriminations: I. S. C. R. IV, p. 158.

III. Government ownership would be the natural outcome of the present system, and is practicable.- (a) Cases of Prussia, Austria, Belgium and Austria.

IV. Government ownership is a necessity.- (a) Because a natural solution of the existing evils.- (b) It would give uniformity of rates.- (c) Provide greater safety and convenience for passengers.- (d) Great saving in expense of management. Harper, 73, 571; Fortnightly Rev. 20, 562; 46. 683.

Brief for the negative.A. S. HAYES and J. A. STETSON.

Best general references: Hadley's Railroad Transportation; Hudson's The Railroads and the Republic; Jevons' The Railroad and the State (in Methods of Social Reform); N. A. Rev. Vol. 139. p. 5.

I. Private ownership in the United States has brought about efficient service and low rates, and has developed the country. The evils of undue competition and discrimination are being satisfactorily remedied by the Interstate Commerce Commission: Quar. Jl. Eson. II, 162, IV, 158.

II. Government ownership must fail because:- (a) It would make railroads the subjects of political schemes. Hadley, ch. XIII; Hudson, p. 327; Spofford, The Railroad Question, 18.- (b) Private enterprise would be lessened, -(c) It has failed in countries where circumstances were more favorable than in the United States. Hadley, 214, 217, 228, 246; Nation, Vol. 35, p. 150.

III. The success of government postal and telegraph service has been possible because the problems involved are comparatively simple and the capital invested small.

IV. Government control, not ownership, promises the best results.