College Conference.

The fourteenth college conference was held last evening in Sever 11. Professor Lyon lectured on the subject "The Prophet Isaiah," as follows:

The best reference books on the Old Testament are Professor Toy's "History of the Religion of Israel," which covers the whole period of the Jewish history, and W. R. Smith's "Hosea, Amos and Isaiah."

The prophet Isaiah lived during the reign of four Hebrew Kings, but to give the dates of their accession is rather difficult. Nevertheless the period of Isaiah's activity extended over about forty years. During his life a great many important events in history took place, beginning in 738 B. C. with a tribute to Assyria, from Israel. Later, in 732, the Assyrians captured Damascus, in 724 Samaria was overthrown, and in 701 Judah was invaded by Senacherib.

Very little is known of the family of Isaiah, excepting that he had two sons. The name Isaiah means the "Salvation of Jehovah," and this thought extends through the whole of his writings, that, notwithstanding the evil which came upon the Israelites, God would care for them, and would lead them out of all their difficulty.

Isaiah's whole power was given to prevent any alliance with outside nations, and to establish in the people a thorough faith and confidence in God. As he lived in times of great peril and excitement he was especially influential, and, in the latter part of his life, was at the head of the affairs of the kingdom. He stood up for reform in the direction of simplicity in matters of dress and luxury as well as for reform in morals.

As for the book of Isaiah, Professor Lyon said it was to be divided into three great parts; the first thirty-five chapters, on prophecy; the succeeding four chapters being historical; and the remainder of the book on prophecy.

Professor Lyon spent the remainder of the time in pointing out such portions of the book as were probably not written by Isaiah and in explaining the chronological order of the chapters. He finished by reading several passages from the prophet's writings in their chronological order and significance.