Appleton Chapel.

Rev. Brooke Herford conducted yesterday his last Sunday evening service at Appleton Chapel, before his departure for Europe. He preached on the strength of Christ's character.

The conception that many men have of Christ's character is a one sided - one. In consequence they feel a condict between their religion and every-day life. They really long to be like the strongest men-of-the-world and to excel in vigor and energy, and they pray to be like one whom they think of as all gentleness. This state of things is palpably wrong, but it results merely from a mistake. The whole remedy lies simply in realizing that the greatest strength the world ever saw underlay the grace of Christ's soul. None but a gigantic power could have started the viorations that have thrilled the world for so many centuries. All through the Gospels this strength shines out again and again. The power is vast through His long temptation and in His ministry, carried on without any of the pomp that might have seemed indespensable among the turbusence and distraction of men's minds when He appeared. His words were simple but at the same time showed when they were they were gentlest a reserve of strength that astonished his hearers. But there were times when this strength broke out into holy wrath. The money-changers and dove-merchants fly before it from the temple in confusion. When it was time to denounce the scribes and Pharisees Christs's words to them fairly ring with power.

And then in the final hours of His life, though the torture of the buffeting and scourging and crowning there was no wavering. On the cross, he refused the draught that would have deadened somewhat the pain, and chose to conquer death in its greatest power.

Men do not need to become weak, to be like Christ, but to temper their strength with love and purity, and to realize that the lips which could terrify the guilty were the greatest to comfort the weak, that the hands which could endure the nails of the cross were the readiest to hold the little child and to clasp together in prayer.

The choir sang the following Christmas carols:

"To us is born" - Praetorius. "O Babe! in manger lying" - Barnby. "Come all ye Shepherds" - Old Bohemian."