The Advocate.

The fifth number of the Advocate, like the fourth has much excellent matter, the prose out-weighing the verse. By far the best piece of work in the number is a story entitled "From a Diary," by C. M. Flandrau. It is thoronghly artistic in every way. The plot is very simple - an ordinary love affair, - but it is worked out in exactly the right way. There is nothing unnatural in any of the conversations or situations, yet there is plenty of the unconventional and unexpected. The descriptions of the various Russian scenes which from the background of the story - morning in St. Petersburg, the drosky-driver, Russian tea, and the Imperial guard review - are perhaps the best part of the story, for they exhibit a keenness of observation and strength of diction which are not apparent in many Advocate stories. It it a picture of real human life and character carefully executed, and is one of the most creditable productions which has appeared in the Advocate for a long time.

"Husband Versus Poet" is a short tale having for its theme the story of a poet who tried his wife's constancy by adopting the plan of sending her ardent love-letters in an assumed hard and some of his most seductive love-sonnets. After much of this sort of thing, the poet's wife writes to her unknown admirer that she loves her husband and is faithful to him and hates the "namby-tamby verses which have been sent her. Dr. Jekyll, the husband, is complacent on learning the truth; but Mr. Hyde, the poet, is frantic with rage at the lack of appreciation of his poetical power. The story is told cleverly.

"Unrewarded" is one of the best of its author's efforts of the year. It is a well executed sketch of a pathetic scene.

"Under the Sofa" might be called the spice of the literary dish which Mother Advocate sets before the college this time - for it is a vivacious dialogue with touches here and there of true Lampoon wit. The hero of the sketch is obliged by force of circumstances to remain under a sofa in a room where an afternoon tea is going on, and amusing complications naturally ensue.

"Behind Closed Doors" is a short tale, simply and laconically written. Its author has a good story to tell and stops at the right place.

"A Barren Achievement" is an oddly onceived story of a people in Holland who gave their ideas into the keeping of an old man, and upon his death, were left a "sad, idealess people." The language of the tale is good, but the whole plot strikes us as unnatural.

None of the verse of the number appears to be of great excellence, although the triolet "Life Hopes" seems to be the best of the three. "Polly" is a dainty poetical trifle, well conceived, though wanting the delicate lightness of touch which the best verse of that style has. A "Villanelle of Change" is correct in form.

The three editorials of the number very naturally deal with the recent foot ball game at Springfield, and the first of the editorials in particular considers the question of the coaching of the eleven.