The Peabody Museum.

The Work being Carried on under its Direction.

Probably few men in college know of the great amount of work that is going on at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. The collections in the museum are very valuable, and a great deal of original investigation is being carried on in Mexico and Central America under the charge of Professor F. W. Putnam, the curator of the museum. These investigations are proving very successful and the results obtained will be of the utmost value for ethnological study.

One of the most valuable workers for the museum is Miss Alice C. Fletcher. She has been devoting herself to the study and improvement of the Indian race in America. Her long visits to the to the Omaha, Ponca, Winnebago, Sioux and Nez Perce Iddians have given Miss Fletcher a deep insight into the character of the Indian race, and have enabled her to obtain for the museum trophies and relics from the different tribes which before have probably never been seen by the eyes of any other race. Among these curiosities is the sacred pole of a tribe with the scalps of noted enemies attached; also there are arrows associated with mystic ceremonies and the sacred pipe of the tribe. The fact that Miss Fletcher has been able to obtain these trophies from the Indians is a good proof of the work of civilization she has been doing among them.

Miss Fletcher's efforts have not been unappreciated. As was announced in a recent DAILY CRIMSON, a recent gift to the museum of $30,000 for the foundation of a fellowship has been presented by Mrs. Mary Copley Thaw who has specified that the first holder of the fellowship shall be Miss Fletcher; and that she shall retain it as long as she lives and carries on her work among the Indians. This establishes for the first time in Harvard University a fellowship for a woman. The fellowship is also to go to Miss Fletcher's successor, to be used in philanthropic and scientific work among the North American Indians.

Besides the Thaw Fellowship, the museum has received gifts from various sources. These gifts have enabled the trustees to fit up the new rooms in the addition of 60x60 feet built last year. Without these gifts it would have been impossible to utilize the new space with the proceeds of the small building fund previously existing. Now a gift of $7,000 from Mrs. Susan C. Warren has met the difficulty to a considerable extent. $5,000 of this sum is to be used at once to fit up cases for specimens in one of the new halls. An arrangement will soon be made of the specimens in one of the galleries in the lecture hall. The Semitic collection of the University will soon be moved to the new rooms and will find a place in the cases of the first gallery. It is hoped that $100,000 will soon be forthcoming to finish building the wing of the building.