The university could not have given a more complete expression to its deep and universal indignation than by the mass meeting last evening. Measures were passed which must show most conclusively that Harvard men do not uphold such acts of barbarity as took place Saturday night, and moreover, that Harvard students wish to do all in their power to repair the injury and to free themselves, as individuals, from any implication of such wilful destruction. The public at large cannot but be convinced that the mass of Harvard students will not tolerate the destruction of college property even in moments of excitement, and that such acts are entirely contrary to the spirit of Harvard life. The amount of genuine feeling which this affair has stirred up is unprecedented, and this, together with the extreme measures which were adopted at the meeting, will free the name of Harvard students from all suspicions of vandalism, and will prevent such disgraceful acts from occurring again.

We believe that the scheme proposed in the resolutions which will be presented to the Athletic Committee must be adopted. Celebrations must be managed by the students themselves, but the leading men should have authority from the college officers and the respect of the rest of the students. This plan has been tried elsewhere and is satisfactory. Enthusiasm is a good thing and, in one way or another, celebrations are necessary. If properly managed no unseemly acts will take place, and no fault can be found with anyone.

Harvard men have voted to repair the damages. The money which is necessary should be raised immediately. Men should pay on signing. It is not a matter that will admit of delay.