It is to be hoped that the Yale Bicycle club will accept the Harvard club's challenge to a team race next spring. Twice last year Yale was invited to arrange a race with Harvard, but each time refused "owing to the general lack of interest in bicycling at New Haven." Now that Yale has won the two-mile bicycle race at the Mott Haven games. the college ought to be more interested in this branch of athletics, and ought to be eager to meet Harvard. Yale can not refuse on the ground of any unsatisfactory conditions in the challenge since every circumstance-"course, distance, number of men, and date"-is left to her choice. In this respect the present challenge is even more favorable to Yale, if possible, than former ones. Last year's challenges stipulated that the number of competitors should be from five to ten, and that if Yale chose a course near New Haven she should allow Harvard $8.00 per man, or receive $8.00 per man if she chose a course near Cambridge. Even these conditions have now been removed, and have left the challenge as broad and unqualified as it possibly could be made.

An annual bicycle race is desirable, especially at this time, for other reasons besides the general benefit it would give both colleges in increasing the interest in a healthy and desirable out-door sport. In addition to this it would strengthen the inducements for a dual league. At this time when the sentiment of both colleges seems to be steadily growing in support of a dual league, a favorable answer to the Bicycle club's challenge would be another step toward attaining the desired end. It would add another bond to the common athletic interests of both colleges. If the principle of a dual league is adopted, Yale and Harvard will have annual contests in rowing, football, baseball, and track athletics. There seems to be no reason why they should not also have annual competitions in shooting, bicycling, tennis, and eventually, we hope, cricket.