It is still an open question whether the system of janitors now in force in the college dormitories is the great improvement over the old method it was hoped it would be. We do not mean to imply that the men now in college rooms do not enjoy much better accommodations now than they did twenty years ago, but we do imply that the new method, as carried out, is not much better than the system of three years ago. The rooms are not any better cared for, and expenses do not seem to have decreased in the least. Men have now more direct dealings with the college officers, but, since some men persist in giving the porters extra money, the necessity of "tips" raises the cost of one's room, and increases the inconvenience.

In former times it was possible to make a direct, vigorous complaint if things were not satisfactory, but now the duties of the officials are so strictly defined, that a man finds himself referred from one official to another until finally he often gives it all up in despair.

The effort to make the "goodies" dress in uniform has only produced a ridiculous result, and we do not find that the duties of these women have been reduced so that, as was anticipated, they can spend more time on the rooms. On the contrary, we believe that they are imposed upon by the porters, and made to do extra work under the penalty of discharge.

A rule forbidding the giving of extra money, and a letter oversight of the equitable division of work would do much to improve the present system.