The above communication contains the opinion on tug-of-war of A. Amory, who has pulled on the Ninety team for three years, and who last year was its captain. In speaking about the matter yesterday at the gymnasium Mr. Lathrop declared himself strongly in favor of the final abolishment of intercollegiate tug-of-war contests on account of the danger of lasting personal injury. It would be folly, however, he said, for Harvard alone to refuse to send a team to the intercollegiate games. It would be merely the throwing away of an event on which might, depend Harvard's chances of winning the cup. There is good material in the college, and every chance should be taken to develope it. A team should, if possible, be sent into the Boston Athletic association games the fifteenth of next month.

N. R. George of last year's Ninety team, had much the same views on the subject. To many men no injury seemed to come from tug-of-war contests, but on the other hand many were seriously harmed. Under any circumstances, however, Harvard should keep a team in the field as long as the sport continues to be intercollegiate.

P. Y. DeNormandie, of the Ninety one team, said that he thought it advisable for Harvard to take no part whatsoever in tug-of-war contests in the future, no matter what should be the stand of the other colleges. There was no doubt that the sport is an injurious one in almost every way, and the sooner it was abandoned the better.

M. I. Motte, captain of last year's freshman team, was in favor of Harvard's continuing to be represented, but thought that all intercollegiate tug-of-war contests should be abolished as soon as possible.