Candidates for the Nine.

A PROMISING OUTLOOK.

A meeting of the candidates for the 'varsity nine was held last night in the room of P. B. Linn, captain of the nine for the coming year. About twenty-five new candidates presented themselves and the outlook is by no neans discouraging for a successful season. During this fall it is likely that several practice games will be played. At any rate every effort will be made to develope the new material. Of last year's nine all but Hawley and Henshaw are back in college and it is said the latter will be back. In spite of the fact that so many of last year's nine are still in college there will undoubtedly be changes in the make-up of next spring's team. Several strong players have come from preparatory schools in the entering freshman class. Among these are Trafford and Upton, the catchers, respectively of Exeter and Andover academy teams. Both of these men are now playing football but will be candidates for the nine at the beginning of winter training. One other promising man is Soule, '93, who has been short-stop on Exeter's team for two years.

For the present daily practice will be had on Holmes field. In this way Captain Linn hopes to bring out the best men in college and to get an idea of the relative strength of the new and old material. Practice will be begun at 4 o'clock and all who wish to be considered candidates are asked to notify Captain Linn in person. The following is a partial list of the men outside of last year's team, who will try for the nine this year:

Outfield-Cummin, Myers, Simons, Woomer, Neff, Parker, Embick, Nicola, Gould, Ward, Piper, Abbot, Babbitt; infield or outfield-Brown, Washburn, Howell; infield-Alward, Mead, Washburn, McCoy; pitcher-Young, Spalding; catcher-Bell, who is also trying for first base. In the list there is a noticeable scarcity of pitchers and catchers. In addition to the men above named the following members and substitutes of last year's team are in college: Downer, L. S., McLeod, '90, pitchers; Willard, L. S., first base; Dean, '91, second base; Howland, L. S., third base; Corning, '91, short stop; Evans, '90, centre field; Linn, '90, right field; Cummings, '91, McKean, '90, Mumford, '90.