Communications.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

Editors Daily Crimson:

SIRS-At one of the conventions of the Intercollegiate Football Association held in New York, Mr. Young delegate from Pennsylvania told Mr. Leeds delegate from Harvard, that he had seen a letter written by Captain Linn of the Harvard nine offering a certain man inducement to come to Harvard to play baseball. A few days later in its issue of November 16 under the heading "Harvard's Way of Doing it" the following article was published in the New York Herald. "Philadelphia, Pa., Nov. 15. 1889.- Another instance of the prevalent and pernicious system of "ringing in" outsiders came to light here today. R. S. Ammerman of Danville, Pa., is a member of the University of Pennsylvania Law School and a very fine base ball player. An influential member of the Harvard nine was in town yesterday and today endeavoring to get Ammerman to leave Pennsylvania and enter Harvard. He offered to have Ammerman's tuition and board at Harvard paid and give him a cash bonus besides. He even went so far as to tell Ammerman that there was a ticket to Boston waiting for him at the Pennsylvania railroad station. Ammerman refused his offer and said he went to Pennsylvania on his own account and would go to no institution on other terms."

Being somewhat interested in athletics at Harvard I determined to investigate the truth of the above and I give below the results thus far obtained:

Nov. 17, 1889, Mr. Linn writes me as follows: "In reply to your question concerning this article I wish to say that I have not made and no one has been authorized by me to make any offer whatsoever to Mr. Ammerman or to anybody else."

Yours very truly,

PHILIP B. LINN. Capt. H. U. B. B. C.(signed)

November 18, 1889, the manager of the Harvard nine writes me that "the report is a lie. I hope nobody believes there was any truth in it."

Yours very truly,

JOHN T. BURNETT.(signed)

On November 18 the following was sent Mr. Ammerman:

DEAR SIR-I enclose with this a clipping from the New York Herald of the 16th inst. and will be much obliged to you if you will deny or confirm the statement therein made that an influential member of the Harvard nine endeavored to get you to leave Pennsylvania and enter Harvard.

I am one of a committee on the Regulation of Athletic Sports at Harvard and as such desire to get at the truth in this matter, as the practice is one not conducive to sport and one in which no amateur should be engaged.

If the report is not true will you please send me a denial; if true will you kindly give me full particulars of the proposition made you, and tell me by whom it was made, whether a member of the Harvard nine, or some one acting on their authority.

The practice alluded to is one which I am afraid is only too common, and if Harvard is engaged in it I trust you will aid me in putting a stop to it by giving me the information asked for.

Yours truly,

WILLIAM HOOPER.This letter was sent to Mr. Ammerman by registered post and was received by him on the 21st of November. The only reply which Mr. Ammerman has been fit to make is an open letter to the Philadelphia Press, which was copied by the New York Sun and appeared in its issue of November 27, 1889, under an article entitled "Will Harvard explain this?"