The Catholic University.

The Catholic University which was dedicated yesterday at Washington, is attracting much attention. The scale on which it has been planned is a large one, and it is expected that it will be a success from the start.

Only one of the buildings is as yet completed, but others are soon to follow. This, the divinity building, is situated on sloping ground, and is remarkable for its massive simplicity. It is built of Georgetown gueiss rock, trimmed with Ohio sandstone. The building consists of a main portion, five stories in height, with wings on either side rising four stories. The architicture of the structure is modernized Romanesque. An arcade corridor extends from the north to the south end of the lower floor of the buildidg and the areade entrance is surmounted with a marble statue of the Saviour. On either side of the main entrance are the two receiving parlors. For one of these Bishop Keane, the rector, has already received a magnificent painting of Pope Leo XIII. The large public hall in which lectures will be given from time to time by distinguished Catholics, is situated in the south west corner, and accommodates 250 people. The marble statue of the Virgin Mary which was presented by Mme. La Roux of Paris, has been placed in the corridor, near the entrance to the chapel. The English Catholics at Rome have presented statues of St. Paul and St. Thomas Aquinas, who is the patron saint of the university, and these also have been placed in the corridor. In addition to the lecture hall, chapel, and parlors, the first floor contains class rooms, dinning rooms and kitchen.

In the building there are thirteen marble altars. The professors and students have their study rooms and dormitories on the second and third floors, and each is allotted two rooms. The fourth floor contains a number of halls, and the fifth will be used as a gymnasium and billiard room.