Fact and Rumor.

There will be no recitation in Fine Arts 3 tomorrow.

H. S. Potter has been elected permanent leader of the Freshman Glee Club.

The candidates for the Amherst College nine have gone into active training in the gymnasium.

Dr. George Williamson Smith, president of Trinity College, has declined the Episcopal bishopric of Ohio.

The Freshman Banjo Club has accepted an invitation to give a concert at Somerville the evening of Feb. 13.

Rev. William Lawrence has invited the members of the St. Paul's Society to his house on Thursday evening of this week.

Professor C. H. Fernald of the State Agricultural College at Amherst, has been elected foreign member of the Entomological Society of France.

The New York baseball club have arranged games with Princeton on April 10 and April 15; and with Yale on April 17 and April 18. Two dates will be reserved for the Harvard team.

All students desiring to hear the lectures in English A will be obliged to be in Sever 11 before five minutes past nine on Tuesdays and Saturdays, as the doors will hereafter be locked at that time.

The Princeton baseball and lacrosse teams are practicing daily out of doors.

President Eliot and Rev. Dr. A. P. Peabody were among the after-dinner speakers Wednesday at the annual banquet of the Unitarian Club at the Hotel Vendome, Boston.

George Gabriel, who made his fortune in New Haven by repairing umbrellas, died recently, leaving $10,000 to Yale College and $15,000 to Yale Divinity School.

A new scholarship fund of $2,500, from a bequest of Charles T. Read, has been received at Amherst, to be given to ministerial students recommended by the Hampshire East Association.

Signora Castroni, wife of the fencing master at the gymnasium, is said to have challenged the fencing master of the Narragansett Boat Club to a contest with broadsword, rapier or dagger.

The January assignment of freshman scholars hipsis as follows: Adams, Commons, L. H. Davis, H. H. Harris, Moore, the Bright scholarships; Spurr and Tryon, the Bigelow scholarships; Coburn, a Matthews scholarship.

College journalism originated at Dartmouth in 1800, with Daniel Webster as one of the editors. After a space of nine years the Literary Cabinet was established at Yale, followed shortly afterwards by the Floriad at Union, and Harvard Lyceum at Harvard.