The Monthly.

The June number of the Monthly opens with two articles on journalism and its relation to the college. The first contains some good advice and may, perhaps, be a correct representation of the feeling of newspaper men toward college graduates, but we think that the writer is mistaken when he speaks of the spirit of intolerance at Harvard toward journalism. Harvard has not given any of her energy to the training of men for journalistic work simply because there has never been a strong demand for education in this particular field. The real basis of the antagonism is clearly seen by the second writer. College men thrown suddenly into the world cannot well picture that world, until they grow to be thoroughly acquainted with it. No matter how much a man may know of history and political economy, he cannot succeed in the active life of journalism until he becomes practical.

Mr. Sempers' verses "Renunciation" are thoughtful and expressive. The theme is somewhat overwrought, however, and the passion too highly colored. The article on "Shakespeare the Playwright" gives evidence of a careful study of Shakespeare from an original point of view. It is an interesting as well as acceptable addition to the pages of criticism which have been written upon the greatest of all English writers. The style of the article is halting and uneven. The writer of the contribution on "Fifty Lyrics from the Elizabethan Dramatists" has attempted to cover a great deal of ground, and as far as he has gone, has succeeded fairly well. The work is appreciative and careful and the style consistent and smooth. The short contribution "Henry the Second" written in oratorical style contains little that is original or of a high order of merit. It is inferior to the other portions of the number. The stanzas entitled "Arnold Dead" are very unequal. The first is labored and unmeaning, the second pointed and good.

The number is swelled beyond its usual volume by an "Athletic Supplement" containing three articles written by men whose names are well known, and bearing on the absorbing athletic question at Harvard. The different sides of the 3-4 question are well presented, and the whole evinces a commendable spirit of enterprise on the part of the editors.