Fact and Rumor.

The nine leaves for Princeton today.

Whitney '89 has been appointed coxswain of the 'varsity crew.

The last theme of the regular series in English XII is due today.

There will be no recitation in F. A. IV tomorrow.

Professor Sloane of Princeton has been called to the Latin chair at Columbia. It is doubtful whether he accepts.

Dr. A. P. Peabody will preach the baccalaureate sermon at Lasell commencement.

Dartmouth beat Trinity on Wednesday 18 to 3; Amherst beat Williams 4 to 3.

The dates for the Yale-Harvard freshman games are officially announced to be May 19 and 26.

The trustees of Princeton have voted to Dr. McCosh a pension of $2,500 a year whether he preaches or not.

W. F. Poole, jr., has been elected permanent captain of the Yale Freshman nine.

The annual spring concert of the Glee Club, Banjo Club and Pierian Sodality will be given in Sanders Theatre next week Thursday.

The faculty of Cornell have just passed the rule that if a student is guilty of intoxication, gambling, or other gross immorality, or of interference with the personal liberty of any student, he will be expelled from the University. It is understood that the law will be rigidly enforced.

Of the ninety-two graduates of Amherst this year, twenty-three are to go into the ministry.

The University of Pennsylvania has challenged Yale to a four-mile straight-away eight-oared race at New London. The freshmen have challenged the Yale freshmen to a two-mile race.

The Boston Post has published a complete list of the signers of the petition of the New York alumni to the overseers on the subject of playing with professionals.

The Chess Club has elected the following officers for '88-'89: President, S. W. Sturgis; secretary-treasurer, R. W. Herrick; executive committee, A. S. Knapp. P. S. Abbot, H. A. Davis.

Perkins is stroking the freshman crew for the present. Cumnock is rowing four. Mr. Hooper, a substitute on the '79'varsity crew, has been coaching the freshmen for some time.

There will probably be a second meeting of the H. A. A. before the Mott Haven games, at which attempts will be made to lower the intercollegiate records for the two-mile bicycle race and the mile walk.