The French Play.

The play "Le Misanthrope et L'Auvergnat," a vaudeville in one act by Eugene Labiche, was performed last night by the members of the Conference Francaise in the society rooms in Dane Hall. The cast of characters was as follows:-

Chiffonet, the Misanthrope.. M. B. Clarke Machavoine, the Auvergnat...C. Davis Coquenard, the sporting gentleman. H. M. Paul Madame Coquenard. C. Copeland Prunette, the servant girl, E. L. Blossom First Domestique. A. Sweeney Chorus of domestics and of invited guests.

Mr. Sanderson kindly consented to act as prompter, and the success of the play was largely due to his assistance.

The Misanthrope detests the various falsehoods of this world, and, upon finding that the Auvergnat tells the truth, hastens to make the latter his friend. He soon begins to repent of his bargain, for his best laid plans are frustrated by the interference of his new friend. At last he finds it necessary to make the Auvergnat lie, in order to save the reputation of Madame Coquenard. Prunette undertakes to bring this about, and the scene in which she coquettes with the teller of unpleasant truths was especially well acted. The parts were very well sustained throughout, and everything went very smoothly without the delays and hitches which usually characterize amateur acting. The dialogues were especially bright and interesting, and the play was very Parisian in tone. Mr. Davis as the Auverguat, and Mr. Blossom as the French maid deserve great praise. The girls were all pretty and very well made up, and Mr. Copeland's costumes were extremely stylish. The coaching of Mr. H. H. Furness, '88, went far to assure the success of the play. The French of the performers is worthy of notice, and also the stage setting. Those who were not fortunate enough to see the play will be glad to hear that another performance is to be given.