The "Monthly."

The sixth number of the Monthly appeared yesterday. It is no more than fair to say that the unusual delay in preparing this April number was due to the fact that a portion of the manuscript was accidentally destroyed.

The first article, by Mr. A. T. Dudley, '87, on "The Mental Qualities of the Athlete." is an admirable treatment of the subject. The writer attributes the success of certain men in athletics to the fact that there is inborn in them a certain impulse which tells them the right thing at the right time. It is a peculiarity, he thinks, of the nervous organization. Training perfects the action of this impulse. Mr. Dudley further attempts to prove that the mental training of the athlete is peculiarly fitted for training the student for the business of life, but we think that he is attributing to it something which it has no claim to except in common with every other exercise of the mind which calls for decision and prompt action.

"Easter Morning" is a poem of moderate merit.

"The Maestro's Virgin" is the narration of an incident in the life of Perugino. It is charmingly told, and the article shows great care.

"A Glance at the Political Parties" is an admirable exposition of the principles of the two great political parties since 1790. We think; however, that the writer has been somewhat too partisan in his treatment of the subject.

The poem, "My Beloved," by Mr. Sempers, is a highly successful attempt. There are few men in college who dare attempt such high themes, and the author is to be commended for his creditable work.

"Gibbon," a defence of the historian against the attacks of hostile crities, is not only exhausive but interesting.

"Browning's Paracelsus" is a systematic analysis of one of Browning's poems by an admirer of that poet. Nevertheless the subject is treated impartially.

The number closes with an editorial on ball playing with professional nines, which, although admirable for its impartial treatment of the subject, nevertheless contains some refleceions on our nine which are undeserved and highly unjust. Whatever the principles of the Yale nine may be, our men have done nothing to deserve the aspersions cast upon them.