Appleton Chapel.

Rev. George A. Gordon delivered a very earnest discourse in the chapel last evening from the text found in the 32nd chapser of Genesis: "For with my staff I passed over this Jordan; and now I am become two companies." The speaker described the advancement that had taken place in the fortunes of Jacob in the twenty years of his absence from home. He had become very wealthy and had grown in experience and in wisdom. This incident from the Old Testament leads to the thought of the attributes of material and moral progress in the lives of Christians to-day. We cannot choose our environments at the beginning of our life. Gracious circumstances are given by God alone, but it is due to human activity and exertion that the growth of the body in material prosperity and of the soul in moral strength is made possible. Neither goodness nor wealth are of spontaneous development. With honorable success comes an honorable end. The change takes place unconsciously; we feel only the warfare; but at the end we know that God has been with us. We then realize the full meaning of the thoughts that passed through the mind of Jacob as he stood on the bank of the Jordan. The choir sang the anthem, "Turn thy face from my sins," by Attwood. The song for men's voices, "Palm Branches," by Faure, was also given as appropriate to Palm Sunday.