In an editorial in the last number of the Monthly, the writer takes the ground that, owing to the fact that Harvard is situated near Boston, and that the students are thus afforded unusual social advantages, it follows that at Harvard the social interests must of necessity take precedence of athletics. While we grant the writer's premises, we cannot accept his conclusion. It is true that Harvard students are afforded social advantages which possibly no other college possesses. The advantage of having Boston's society within the reach of those who have the means to enjoy it, is a piece of good fortune which cannot be overestimated. But every one here is not placed in a position to be able to enjoy the pleasures of society. Why such unusual advantages should place athletics in a secondary position we fail to see. Men do not train for teams merely for the pleasure they get from it. The athletics of a college have ceased to be a mere pleasure: they have become hard, earnest work. Should the self-denial undergone by these men be set aside as of secondary importance? Who is to judge-a few individuals or the college at large? The prize offered to stir the athlete is not pleasure-it is honor; it is the satisfaction of being a vital part of a victorious team, and its attendant advantages.

Society and athletics are distinct interests; they should not clash, but go hand in hand. They are both of the utmost importance to the college, and both should be put on the same plane. We think the time has now come when this equality is no longer a matter of conjecture, but a certainty.