Fact and Rumor.

Vespers this afternoon at 5 o'clock.

The marks in Spanish 1 will probably be given out next Friday.

No information will be given about the mid-year marks in Pol. Econ 1.

The marks in Chemistry A were sent out yesterday.

The Delta Upsilon will give a German on Friday evening.

Members of the Freshman Glee Club are to have shingles.

The Freshman Glee Club will give its first concert a week from Friday in Pierce Hall, Brookline.

Marden, '88, has recovered from his illness and has returned again to college.

Professor F. W. Putnam, director of the Peabody Museum, gave a lecture last evening in Association Hall, Boston, in the Natural Science Course. His subject was "The Serpent Mound and the Ancient People of the Ohio Valley."

The Rev. T. DeWitt Talmage will give a lecture in Tremont Temple, Boston, on Feb. 20. His subject will be "The School of Scandal" and this will be his only appearance in Boston this season.

Prof. Davis is giving a course of lectures on Physical Science, in Huntington Hall, Boston, for the benefit of teachers.

I wonder if I have ever given my testimony in this column to the courtesy of Harvard students in that most trying of all places for one's manners-a Cambridge street car. My wanderings for the past two or three years have given me a good deal of experience in these vehicles, and I want to say that in scarcely more than half a dozen instances, all told, have I seen Harvard men fail of courtesy to other passengers. Many men are coming to be indifferent to the claims of women to any other treatment than they themselves receive in the cars, but it is a very rare experience for me to see a lady, whether young or old, plain or pretty, enter a car when students are passengers, and be compelled to stand.- Cambridge Tribune.

It is amusing to notice how small institutions of learning put on airs. A minor university is worse than a minor poet. I happened lately to glance over the catalogue of a "university" of about 400 students, which "university" consists simply of a school of general literature and a school of technology. Yet this institution grants eight kinds of degrees at graduation: Bachelor of arts, bachelor of science, civil engineer, mechanical engineer, bachelor of science in mining and metallurgy, engineer of mines and metallurgist, electrical engineer and analytical chemist, besides higher degrees of M. A., M. S. and Ph. D. In presence of such a collection of high-sounding names, a modest Harvard man stands aghast until he remembers that their value must be taken with a grain of salt.- Cambridge Tribune.