The Symphony Concert.

The usual large crowd greeted the Boston Symphony Orchestra last evening at Sanders Theatre in the second of the series of concerts, to be given here. The only word that can be said in disparagement of the programme was its extreme length. This is a characteristic fault with the Music Hall programmes and so we must expect the same in Cambridge. From a technical standpoint the concert was, as usual, delightful. The coloring, rhythm, and polish displayed by the orchestra were faultless. The first number on the programme was Schubert's overture in E minor, a new work to Cambridge people. The work is not particularly interesting as it lacks in orginality of thought and expression. Even Schubert's great melodic power seems wanting in this piece.

Beethoven's concerto for the violin was second on the programme, with Mr. Frans Kneisel as soloist. Mr. Kneisel played with his usual precision of tone, and seemed to put more life into his efforts than when he played the piece about a month ago in Music Hall. The orchestra seemed to share Mr. Kneisel's enthusiasm, and not a little credit of the piece reflects upon them.

Mendelssohn's Scotch symphony came last upon the programme. All the movements were well performed, but the second deserves particular mention for its delicate rendering, and seemed to find the greatest favor with the audience. The last movement was handicapped by the fact that many were already leaving the hall, with the usual banging of doors, etc.

The next concert will be January 3rd.