Fact and Rumor.

History 8 will not be given during 1888-89.

The first long theme in English V will be a description.

Subjects for the second fortnightly theme in English XII are due today.

The Princeton Theological Seminary has a larger attendance than ever before.

A book has recently been published entitled "The Biography of the Class of 1836 at Princeton College."

The president of St. Paul's school, at Concord, has positively prohibited baseball from being played there.

Freshmen should be on the alert against fraudulent peddlers who are beginning to swarm about the buildings.

The attention of juniors who expect to be candidates for Final Honors in classics in 1889-90 is called to the requisition of a Latin Thesis. They will find Professor Treble at his room on Saturdays from 9 to 10 and from 12 to 1 o'clock.

The Shooting Club holds its first regular meeting of this year at Watertown this afternoon. Three matches will be started as follows: A.- Clay pigeons, five angles; open to all. B.- Clay pigeons, straight away; prize winners handicapped. C.- Blue rocks, five angles; first prize winners barred. These matches will run for three meetings, ten birds to be shot at each time by each contestant, and his best two scores to count.

Greenleaf, '92, has got a Columbia racing bicycle, and at his first trial, Tuesday, made half a mile in 1 min. 22 4-5 seconds-four seconds under the Harvard record.

When Anthony Comstock recently lectured at Princeton, the students, with a considerate regard for his feelings, draped the statue of "The Gladiator" with a bifurcated garment of red flannel.

All candidates for the degree of A. M., Ph. D., or S. D., except candidates for the degree of A. M. on the professional course of study pursued, in a professional school, are required to register in the graduate department.

The members of Philosophy, 1 are expected to bring large sized blue books to the next recitation. The purpose of these books is to afford an opportunity for the students to philosophize for themselves without the aid of the instructor.

Sherrill, the Yale sprinter, will not run again before next spring although he is rapidly recovering from the injury received in the first trial heat of the 100 yards dash at the Detroit athletic meeting.

It has been the custom heretofore for the college marshals in torchlight processions to go on horseback, but as only one of the nine marshals of the upper classes recently elected has ever ridden a horse, this part of the ceremony will be omitted this fall.

An athletic enterprise has been set on foot by the National Amateur Athletic Association, which promises to be one of the greatest undertakings of the kind ever attempted. The association has decided to hold a national meeting immediately before their international championship games, which take place next May. The meeting will be open to every amateur in the United States, and the winners of contests will form an international team, which will make a tour of Europe, entering all amateur championship games held in foreign countries. The team will also hold a series of games at the Paris Exposition of 1889.