Fact and Rumor.

Prof. E. E. Hale, D. D., will conduct prayers this week.

The alumni of Dartmouth and Williams Colleges met in New York last Friday evening and elected officers.

Holden Chapel will be open during the mid-years for the use of students in elocution.

Manchester, the present captain of Wesleyan's foot-ball eleven, intends to become a missionary.

This afternoon occurs the last appearance in Music Hall of the boy pianist Hofmann.

Professor Paine's "The Nativity" was given last evening in Music Hall by the Handel and Haydn Society.

It is with great sorrow that we hear Professor Asa Gray's condition is growing worse.

The gas-pipe supplying the middle entry of Thayer has become stopped up, probably by the freezing of moisture within it.

In the first of the series of handicap contests of the Yale Athletic Association, Bayard, '90, put the shot 31 ft. 10 in., the best actual score, and Sherman won the high jump by clearing 5 ft. 6 in.

A year ago to-day the Yale crew began regular rowing on the harbor at New Haven. Charles river was free from ice the last week in March.

Mr. John Clinton Gray, lately appointed associate judge of the Court of Appeals in New York State, is a graduate of the Harvard Law School.

The library of the Greek department will be moved during the mid-years from Sever 28 to Sever 25, which is larger and better lighted.

Professor Paine has composed a cantata for Mr. Woodbury's ode, "My Country," which is to be produced at the Cincinnati Musical Festival.

At the gymnasium, Saturday, Penny-packer, '88, won the shot with a put of 34 ft. 9 1 2 in. Bell, '91, won the high jump with 5 ft. 3 3 4 in. to his credit. Hunnewell, '90, and Hale, '91, tied for second at 5 ft. 3 in.

A diorama of the main events in the the life of General Grant, painted by Paul Philoppoteaux, will be opened to public to-morrow. The paintings are twenty-two in number and are on exhibition at the Old South Church in Boston.

The weather conditions on Saturday evening were very favorable for witnessing the eclipse, and although the moon entered the penumbra before rising, many interesting observations were made at the Observatory and ten successful photographs were secured.

G. P. Putnam's Sons have just issued "Baron Munchausen" in the Knicker-bocker Nuggets Series. The adventures are selected with judgment from the best English and German editions of the experiences of the noted traveler and sight-seer. The illustrations are good and profuse.