In our communication column this morning the late treasurer of the boat club comments upon our position in regard to the boating expenditures. He says: "Such hasty and unjust criticism as that of last Saturday can do no good while it tends to make still harder the disagreeable duties of the men who collect money for the crew."

We cannot agree with Mr. Balch in this matter, although we are as earnest as he is to advance the financial interests of the crew, for we have declared it our belief that mismanagement, if not extravagance. has been the rule for some time past. Last June the college was surprised to learn that the boat club was still in arrears when every one had been informed that the strenuous efforts made in the winter of '85-'86 had succeeded in wiping out the indebtedness which, something over $2000 in the fall of 1884, had been $1600 in October 1885. This surprise turned into distrust when it was shown in our columns on June twentieth and twenty-first last that about $600 had been expended carelessly. Mr. Balch, during the spring, called attention to the fact that the subscriptions had fallen off six hundred dollars and that the Pudding and the D. K. E. paid over a less amount than usual as every one believed that the crew did not need money. It seems that his warning was not heeded and that his estimate of a debt of $1000 had no effect upon some of our long purses in Cambridge, but even $800 more has been added to the burden, so that now we are in as bad a condition as we were two years ago. The situation is this: The '86 management left $600 debt and $1200 was added last year, not so much in increased expenditures as in a lack of receipts. Who are to blame?

First, those who neglected to inform the students of the financial difficulties until the middle of June, too late to accomplish much good. Second, those students, and the number is not small, who subscribed and failed to pay their subscriptions. Third, the management which went ahead even to new expenses without sufficiently impressing upon the students the necessity for the funds.

What is to be the remedy? There is but one and that is in the hands of the students. The debt is incurred and we must pay it. The college has lost two consecutive races and this year Harvard must win or we are behind in the series and take a secondary position in college boat-racing. The management cannot feel that it is hampered for money or the result would be disastrous. No one wishes to see our boating interest disappear, but unless a radical change comes over the spirit of the men here that event is certain to occur. We hear that instead of an increased subscription list this year there is actually a smaller amount paid in than there was last February. We with-hold our censure of past extravagance, if it is to have any influence in preventing subscriptions. That was not our intent as any clear-headed man must see. Our attack was on recklessness such as has been evidenced in some instances. Now we are for victory and that cannot be jeopardized for the mistakes of the past. The present manager must have wit enough to see that he has a great task before him, and if he will publish what amounts he deems necessary for this year beyond what is already received we believe he will awaken a little of the lethargy which arises from ignorance and not from indisposition.