Yale Letter.

NEW HAVEN, June 8, 1887.

We are very much elated over the boon which track-athletics have received here this spring. Not only do we congratulate ourselves on our success at the intercollegiate games, but it is especially gratifying to observe the number of records which have been broken by Yale men. At our spring games the intercollegiate records were broken in the mile run and throwing the hammer, and cur college records were broken in the pole-vault and in putting the shot. The intercollegiate records in the same events, leaving out the polo-vault and adding the broad jump, were again broken by Yale men at the intercollegiate games. At a special meeting of the Yale Athletic Association at the Field last Friday, the world's record of 18 3-5 seconds in the 110 yards' three-legged race, was broken by Ludington, '87, and Sherrill, '89, who covered the distance in 14 4-5 seconds. Harmer, '90, broke the intercollegiate two-mile run record of 10 min. 35 3-5 sec., making the distance in 10 min. 7 sec. The amateur world record for 100 yards, over eight 3 feet 6 inch hurdles, was broken by Ludington, '87, who finished in 14 1-5 sec.

Still another Yale record was broken at the spring regatta by the '89 class crew, which rowed the two miles in 10 min. 29 1-2 sec., thus lowering the fresh water record by 1 min. 4 1-2 sec., and coming within 5 1-2 sec. of the best Yale salt water record. The freshmen came in second and juniors last. The most exciting event of the day was the four-oared barge race between D. K. E., and Psi Upsilon. The two crews finished together, and the race was declared a tie.

Week before last was what is called "society week." Monday night the abolition of the old sophomore societies was celebrated by a procession of the students about the campus, cheering all of the college buildings and singing "Omega Lambda Chi." Tuesday night the Junior society elections were given out in the customary manner. The Psi Upsilon and D. K. E. men enter the campus simultaneously from the north and south ends respectively, headed by calcium lights and singing their society songs. The members-elect of the Sophomore class are assembled in several rooms, and the juniors rush in and shake hands with them, at the same time taking abundantly of the cigars which are set forth for them. The Senior society elections on Thursday afternoon, and the Junior society initiations on Friday night completed the programme of the week.

YALE NEWS.