Fact and Rumor.

Are there to be any scratch races this fall?

The first debate in English 6 will be held today at 3 o'clock.

That ancient institution of a quorum in society and class meetings is still in vogue at Yale.

Yesterday afternoon the sloop Volunteer was put into winter quarters at Lawley's South Boston yard.

Graves, full-back of last year's Andover team, is playing half-back with Morrison at Yale this year.

Dartmouth has purchased land on which she proposes to erect a building for the exclusive use of her base ball nine.

At a meeting of the University crew last night, Mr. E, C. Pfeiffer, '89, was elected captain, Mr. Keyes having resigned.

There are thirty-eight candidates for positions on the Yale freshmen crew. They will go into training in a short time.-Ex.

A joint committee of Alumni and Undergraduates is to be formed at Columbia to have general supervision of the athletic interests of the college.-Ex.

Yale has a Criminal Club composed of men who have been arrested for petty offences. The club had a banquet recently and twenty men sat at the table.-Ex.

J. A. Dennison, of Boston, one of the best players in the Dartmouth foot ball team, badly hurt his left eye in a practice game day before yesterday. Artz, the catcher of the 'Varsity nine, injured his leg in the same game. Both men will be unable to play for some time.

The following is one of the ancient laws of Yale: "Art. VII. It shall be the duty of the senior class to inspect the manner of the lower classes, and especially those of the freshman class." Ex.

The following is the eleven which will play at Exeter today: Rushers, Holden, Piper, Wood, Morse, Markoe, Butler and Cumnock; quarter-back, Harding; half-backs, Porter and Saxe; full-back, Sears.

The benefit entertainment of the Boston Press Club takes place in Boston Theatre, Oct. 20. It is to be a five hour matinee, beginning at one o'clock. All the theatrical companies in the city take part and two from New York. The Harvard quartette also figure in the programme. Tickets can be had at the office of the Boston Advertiser.

The Eastern Intercollegiate Foot-Ball Association met in Springfield last Wednesday and adopted the following new rules: After four downs without an advance of five yards the ball must be placed back twenty yards instead of ten yards, as before. A touch down will be made this year at the point the ball crosses the line. It was thought inexpedient to have two referees instead of one.