Communication.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON: The refinement of torture, the nightmare of the Mid-years, 36 per cent. is a thing of the past. E may bring despair, but not such exasperation. On the other hand, the uncompromising grind finds himself in A side by side with a lucky and judicious sport. It can no longer be said absolutely, "If you are good you will be happy but you won't have a good time." A premium has been taken off that mid-year knowledge - if knowledge it can be called - which is useful in the examination room and nowhere else,

Yet it still remains to be seen whether the college will approve the marking system; for the present Mid-years are its first great and questionable test. And the verdict will be interesting in more ways than one. It will not only show one ideas of the true measure of knowledge but will also be a sort of gauge of our own modesty. For, when a man finds himself ranked with a class, he naturally looks to see who his companions are. If he thinks he is quite as good a scholar as they are he is rather dissatisfied. It is, moreover, obvious that if the majority are dissatisfied somebody must be conceited, and also that the conceit of the college is greater than its modesty by the majority of the dissatisfied over the satisfied men; and vice versa. Modesty is an excellent virtue and easy to assume "If you have it not." The heartiest support may therefore be expected for the system.

The verdict will also be a partial judgement of the conference committee, of which the marking system is the sole surviving result, the result of two years thinking by many honorable gentlemen. Shall we ask if it is a worthy result? No, the conference committee is like Caesar's wife above (or at least beyond) suspicion.