On the tariff question Harvard has been always accused of a partiality toward free trade, and business men have often felt that in sending their sons hither they were running great risk in that vile free trade notions would grow up in their boys. As we all know, our political economy professors are free traders, but the impartial way in which course one has taken up the subject of the tariff, is a matter of congratulation to all political economy students. The skeptical and impartial manner in which work is generally pursued here is one of the greatest advantages of this college, and we are glad to see that the tariff is to be considered in the same true spirit. This commercial problem is yet very far from a final solution, and an unprejudiced examination by elementary students is most necessary. Professor Thompson's "Protection to Home Industry" - which book is to be used in the course - is a masterly exposition of the protectionist theory, and all who heard his lectures here a year ago must think that Professor Thompson has a sincere belief in his views.

On the free trade side, Professor Sumner's "Protectionism" is to be the text book. The incisive, active style of this writer is familiar to all students of American economics or history, and the free trade view suffers nothing in this little publication.

On the whole, the students in Political Economy one are to be congratulated that this living question is to be discussed in an impartial way.