Of late our English department has been subjected to considerable criticism from one source or another, - criticism which seems for the most part due to ignorance of the facts. While it would be foolish to say that the department is in every respect well conducted, that it is perfect, yet those who have been out of college for a year or more actually do not know what work is being done in English to-day. Accordingly, for the benefit of those who know not the present as well as those who know not the past of our English department, we should like to make a few plain statements.

The old prescribed course which members of '84, and earlier classes, pursued, was Rhetoric and six themes in the sophomore year, six themes and four short forensics in the junior, and four similar forensics in the senior year. There was also an opportunity for those who could write very well to elect English V, a special course in composition, for one or two years.

At present freshmen have Rhetoric, and practice in writing. Twelve themes are prescribed for the sophomore year, and six for the junior year. In addition, the course in forensics has been much changed. Ten lectures in argumentative composition are given, while both seniors and juniors are required to write a forensic, a thesis, and to pass an examination in writing essays off-hand. Moreover, English XII has been established for those who are unable to take English V; and in both of these elective courses daily themes are required. So in the composition courses there is but little to find fault with. Possibly it might be a good plan to prescribe daily themes for sophomores; but the instructors are in a position to judge better than we of the feasibility of such a requirement.