Yale Letter.

Though, during the lull in athletics and the more widely noticeable events at Yale, which is necessarily brought on by the season of the year and the near approach of our semi-annual examinations, the university is brought but little to the outside world, there is, in reality, a good deal of life and activity within her walls. It is an activity in the inner and social life of the university and in preparation for the work of the coming year. President and Mrs. Dwight who have already given a reception to the students of the scientific department, give another reception on Wednesday evening of this week to the senior class. These receptions are in accordance with a long standing custom of President Dwight's predecessors but perhaps it is more looked forward to now than ever, as it is the principle means of bringing the students to a closer intimacy with the president, since he has given up the idea of meeting them in the class-room, in order to devote himself more completely to the requirements of the university at large. Dwight Hall, our newly erected Y. M. C. A. building is probably better fitted for bringing a large number of men together in a pleasant and social way within its comfortable and homelike rooms than any other building on the campus, and its managers are making every effort to bring it into general use. During each evening of the present week the Rev. Wm. W. Clark has been giving and will give information talks there to all members of the university who wish to attend. The dinner given by the St. Paul's Club on last Monday evening and the one to be given by the Andover Club next Saturday together with various other events of the kind, show the social activity that for the moment replaces that of the out-door athletics. The university Chess Club is now in the midst of a tournament for which there were thirty-one entries and which bids fair to result in a close and interesting contest; and a strong competition for the various papers and literary magazines is making itself apparent. The "Banner" for 1886-7 will be ready for sale this week, and will undoubtedly be the most attractive one ever published. One feature of the issue is the cuts of three athletic teams, the champion crew and nine and the foot-ball team of last fall. Its statistics are more complete and accurate than usual, and the body of the book contains about thirty pages more than last year. Next Monday the semi-annual examinations commence, lasting until the Wednesday before Christmas, when our vacation of two weeks takes place. But amid these literary, studious, and social activities, athletics are not forgotten. Various preparations of the different organizations are already underway. The house which was built last year for the winter base-ball practise is being enlarged and will be eighty-five feet long when completed. Here the candidates for the university nine will begin practise in batting immediately after the vacation. Men are already training for the university crew. The Athletic Association has held several hare and hound hunts, while also preparing for winter practise, as far as possible, in running, jumping, etc., for the winter games which will be held in the gymnasium in February.