The closing feature of yesterday's celebration was in its way, almost as much of a success as were all the other features of Harvard's great festivities. The torchlight procession was carefully arranged, and presented a very organized appearance. The great variety of costumes, of transparencies, with their manifold jokes, the dazzling glare of torches, from which every now and then, a stream of fire shot into the clear, cold sky, must all have afforded a great deal of delight to the sleepy inhabitants of Cambridgeport and to those of our own venerable, old, hoary Cambridge. All the happiness and gayety culminated when on Holmes' field the messengers arose from earth to carry the news of Harvard's gladness up through the night air to the clear ether above. Last night will shine as a bright spot on the already glowing tablets of our recollections of these memorable days in the university's existence.

An address by James Russell Lowell, a poem by Oliver Wendell Holmes - what greater literary treat could be offered to any audience, even one more cultured than that which assembled yesterday in Sanders Theatre? What could be more fitting, too, than that at the birthday of festivities of the Alma Mater, the two most famous of her living sons should thus lend their aid in celebrating the natal day? We are at a loss when we attempt adequately to praise the address, because it seems to us that nothing ore appropriate could have been written, nothing worthier of the genius of the author. A great occasion needed a great composition, and the skillful pen of the master has here traced words that will add much to the lustre of an already fair and shining reputation. Jewels of thought some of native gold, some chosen from that intellectual wealth gained little by little, from all countries and from all minds which Mr. Lowell more than almost any other American has laid away in the storehouse of his thought, - jewels of such worth as these could not fail to and charm his hearers. The poem was well worthy of the occasion and the distinguished and appreciative, though critical, audience. We cannot help deploring that this audience was composed so largely of ladies - and this is said with no lack of chivalric regard. When Harvard becomes a co-educational institution we shall not say a word if the same proportions between the sexes are maintained as those of yesterday in Sanders.