Next to the great advance which the college authorities have made in the matter of compulsory worship is the important change in the marking system. The abolition of percentages and individual ranking must be a subject of congratulation to all students, for we trust that the undergraduates here in Cambridge have reached that plane of scholarship where men believe that knowledge is the aim of college life, and not that knowledge is the means whereby a high rank may be obtained. The former system of credits was notoriously unfair, for who, if he be a man of insight, will undertake to say that one deserves a percentage of ninety-eight while the work of another is placed at ninety-seven. The shade of difference is too minute to allow of the one student's calling himself first in his class, while his equal, likely enough, is ranked second. In addition, men do not come to Harvard to be ranged in a catalogue of their worthiness or unworthiness, no more should they be in their diligence or negligence. The new system of grades is but a promise of what we may expect in the future, - the entire abolition of credits. Students will then learn, even if they do not now know it, that they are working to gain knowledge and undergo training, and that artificial helps do not aid them, but only make the motive for their work an unworthy one. It is not the learning that is to avail us, but the spirit in which the learning is sought.