Yesterday's practice gave the first indications of what the future of Harvard foot-ball would be. There is material enough, that is evident. There is enthusiasm enough. The captain is able and energetic. But all these accessory attributes to a good foot-ball team are as nothing when compared to the one quality which has always been distinguished by its absence from our teams - skill. Our men play a good game after their own light; - that is, they let centre snap the ball to the quarter-back, and quarter-back throw it to a half-back, and then he puts his head down and rushes blindly into the crowd and - "Down! How much did we lose that time? Ten yards? Well, try it again." There is no use denying that our men play a plucky game. There has never been any lack of courage in their conduct on the field; but the strategy which goes to make a victorious team is lacking. The Princeton team of a year ago were so trained in passing, and especially passing when tackled that six men would assist in making one rush, before the ball was finally declared down. What our team needs to do is not to make a collection of brawn and muscle, of future blacksmiths and stone-crackers, but to cultivate the style and science of real foot-ball. We believe Mr. Brooks will work foot-ball for all it is worth, and that he will teach the team all he knows or can learn; but the style of Harvard foot-ball play must be radically changed before we can win the championship or if we only expect to beat Wesleyan and Pennsylvania, - for they are further advanced in the art than we have ever been.