We publish in another column a general review of the past year. This review must be of interest to all Harvard men, and the college at large may well congratulate itself on such a successful and progressive career. We believe that two of the advances in the condition of the college deserve special mention, namely, the establishment of better relations between the faculty and the students, and the general increase of literary activity.

The first advance, seen most prominently in the new Conference Committee, is the more important of the two, as far as the general machinery and government of the college are concerned. Co-operation is coming to be recognized as an important element of success. It has surely proved its importance in college management very strongly during the past year. It has aroused far better feeling among all concerned than has ever existed before, and this better feeling has added largely to the successes of the year. Harvard is better for it intellectually, as well as morally, permanently as well as temporarily. We believe that any extension of these co-operative relations would be attended only by still greater successes and progress.

The second advance, the increase of literary activity, must by no means be underestimated. The addition of strictly literary courses to the English Department is destined to prove of the greatest value to the college, and is one of the strongest evidences that this department has been undergoing extensive improvement. Again, the coming Literary Monthly and enlargement of the Advocate, are straws leaning in the same direction. English, English composition, the literary calling are to receive not only more prominence but also more popularity than heretofore.