Next year Harvard College will celebrate its two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. The authorities have been much perplexed as to the most fitting way in which this should be done; some have thought that a Greek play should be presented; others, principally the leaders in the present progressive educational movement, think that one of Shakspere's plays "set with ancient simplicity." would better conform to the spirit of the time. While this perplexity exists here at home, there is going on in a quiet, unassuming way, something which will do more to commemorate fittingly this great event than can the presentation of any play. It has been a continual source of regret that so little is known about the founder of this college, John Harvard. Up to the present time the only things of importance known about him are his graduation from Cambridge in 1631. his arrival in this country in 1637, and his death by consumption in 1638. It appears also that he was ordained in the Church of England, but afterwards became a Dissenter.

In 1842, Mr. Savage, the distinguished antiquarian, visited England, and, assisted by Edward Everett, at that time the American minister, made what was thought to be an exhaustive search for records of John Harvard. Mr. Savage's efforts were so fruitless that, although $100 were offered for each of five lines giving information about him, nothing new was discovered. Mr. Henry Waters, the agent of the New England Historic-Genealogical Society, has since taken up the work, and by most assiduous labor has found what he thinks will lead to the dissipation of the mist which has so long overhung the early life of the founder of America's greatest university. Just at this time Mr. Waters is obliged to suspend his operations for want of funds, and has appealed to the graduates of the college for aid. Several alumni associations have already generously responded, but there yet remains a considerable sum to be collected. The efforts of Mr. Waters will doubtless be successful, should the necessary funds be raised, and the quarter-millennial anniversary of Harvard College will be most fittingly celebrated. It therefore behooves every Harvard man, graduate and undergraduate, to do all in his power to aid in such a laudable undertaking.